Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Life Drawing I: Week Fourteen: Final Portfolio


PHOTOBUCKET ALBUM:
Term 2

FINAL REFLECTION
Wow, I just cant believe the semester is done already! It absolutely flew by! I learned a ton this semester in Lifedrawing. Coming into life drawing Im sure a lot of us thought, yea Im not the greatest at drawing the human figure, but I can do it fairly successfully. I being one of them, definitely got a bit of a shock when I was set in front of a nude model and asked to draw her/him. I learned very quickly the areas that I needed to improve upon and what I was doing incorrectly with my human form.

On the last day of class we had a model come in and we were able to two final long drawings. I was really excited to be able to finally put all my knowledge together and draw the entire human form without questioning areas of the body. I unfortunately found out very quickly that I was very out of practice with the entirety of the body. Since we had been concentrating more recently on the hands, feet, and facial features, along with missing a couple days of class, we really hadnt done a whole lot of model drawing. This really showed me that especially with the human body, practice and constant drawing is essential for me to be able to retain and successfully draw various portions of the body.

Overall I really enjoyed doing the head and facial features especially the eyes! I have always attempted to draw the human eyes, but they just never seemed to turn out right or look real. By listening to Amy's lectures and by closely analyzing the more specific areas and planes of the eyes I feel that I am much more able to draw a realistic human eye.

As far as my final shell goes, I was actually surprised with how happy I am with it. Throughout the semester my contour drawings seem to go on a roller coaster ride, one being good and the next being super flat. I feel that with this last shell drawing I was able to capture a lot of angles and pretty successfully got it to look both 3D and organic. With my last large shell drawing the biggest thing that I felt I needed to work on was making my shell look organic. By paying attention to closer details and by drawing more slowly I was able to capture more of my shells bumps, and grooves. I was nervous about going in with the wash on my shell. I have never worked with an ink wash before, but overall for my first time I am pretty happy with how it turned out!

No comments: