Friday, October 9, 2009

Life Drawing I: Week Four: Reflection




THE RIB CAGE AND THE ABDOMINALS
So this week in Life Drawing we took notes on the rib cage, the abdomen muscles, and the various ways that the body can be visually interpreted as we're drawing. It helped a ton to be able to learn the various angles and how everything looks from these angles. One of the biggest things that I had noticed I was having difficulty with was transitioning my drawing and how they should be looking from the front, back, and side views.

I have noticed that the single most effective thought with the rib cage is that it is shaped like an egg. An egg is a shape that just about everyone knows and because it is spherical no matter what the angle you are looking at the body from, it basically stays the same.

By creating an egg shape for the beginning of my body, I can pretty easily construct the rest of the abdominal area. Since where the rib cage ends is considered the narrowest part of the body, making the transition from stomach to waist to hips has been relatively smooth sailing. The biggest hang up I have noticed as I am drawing the rest of the body core is the placement of the pelvis. On some of my drawings I feel like the body looks pretty well proportioned while other times my body looks way too long.

During class, I have noticed that our initial quick 30 second- one minute gesture drawings are very beneficial to me. Being able to do quick full arm length drawings like that really give me the opportunity to loosen and warm up. I feel like this part of class benefits me by allowing me to make more fluent lines in my longer drawings towards the end of the period.

No comments: