Friday, October 16, 2009

Life Drawing I: Week Five: Reflection




THE PELVIS
This week we learned about the pelvis. Due to Amy having a cold, instead of listening and taking notes on her lecture we got to watch a video on the pelvis. Needless to say the video was a bit outdated and hard to watch. I feel like it was much harder for me to both retain and understand the pelvis by watching the video. During Amy's lectures I feel like she is really able to give us information and examples that we will be able to relate to and incorporate into our drawings. With the video breaking the body down into squares did seem to be helpful in my drawings as well though.

By breaking the body into squares it made me more aware of placement of the ribcage verses the pelvis. I quickly noticed that I had been putting the pelvis way to far away from the bottom of the rib cage. After I had adjusted my pelvis distance from the rib cage, at first it looked really awkward. After a few quick drawings though I was really able to see that my body proportions looked much better.

Another thing that I have been having difficulty with is the shape of the pelvis when viewing the body from the side. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on how the lower back moves into the gluts, but since Amy would like us to draw in our pelvis bones first I've been struggling to get them to look right from the side view.

Overall I'm getting excited to learn more of the body and how the legs and arms will hang and extend from the torso. The torso is such a key part of the body and I know that it is key to have it down before we even try to add any appendages on, but its exciting to think that soon we will be able to proportionally draw the entire human body.

No comments: