Friday, November 27, 2009

Life Drawing I: Week Eleven: Reflection



FIRST LARGE SHELL CRITIQUE, EYES, AND NOSES
For this blog entry Amy wanted us to touch upon two questions and our critiques. The first question she wanted us to address was how this drawing compared to our last shell drawing. I feel that this shell drawing from my last one has improved. On my last shell drawing I attempted this view multiple times and just couldn't seen to get it to work. Coming into this drawing I knew that I wanted to draw my shell from this view showing the various planes and steps as my shell twisted into form. Due to the amount of time Amy gave us for these larger shells, I was really able to slow down and take my time as I figured out how my shell moved and curved around.

The second question Amy wanted us to address was how we felt about going from our newsprint sketch books to such a large piece of paper. It was a bit difficult for me to jump to such a large drawing. For my drawing I decided to work on a table looking down on my drawing...lets just say this was a mistake on my part. Going into the drawing I felt I was able to get the overall shape much more easily, but I feel some of my contour lines lost their direction working so big. After seeing my shell up on a wall, straight on instead of on a table, I can really see where I should have put a lot more lines. I also feel that my shell lost a lot of its organic feel. To me my shell, looks 3D, but it would have been much more beneficial to me to work on a wall rather then a table top.

Overall my critiques went pretty well. I was able to tell the people that I worked with what I felt I needed to improve upon and we went from there. My group members thought I used up the page nicely, and that my overall shape was really nicely done. They did agree that my shell wasn't as organic as is could have been and began to look a little to precisely done. For our next shell my main goal is to create a shell with a lot more organic form and to add more contour lines to better define the shells feel.

After our critiques were done Amy went over the eyes and nose. Overall the lecture went pretty well I and believe I have a pretty good understanding of the basic shapes of these facials features. Amy assigned us 5 eyes and nose drawings for the weekend so we'll see how they go!

No comments: